Below is a detailed description of all the metrics displayed on email reporting pages. It is based on the structure and headings of the Results Summary page, but also includes additional metrics shown on the Trends page.
- Original launch list
- Number of emails not sent
- Number of emails sent
- Number of emails delivered
- Social Sharing
- Email format used
- Other activities
Original launch list
This is the number of contacts in the segment or list selected as recipient source for this campaign.
For batch email campaigns, contacts who have unsubscribed or whose email address has been marked invalid according to your Bounce Settings have already been removed by this stage. They are listed in the email Scheduling page under Opted out and Invalid address.
If you have used Value Control for an email campaign, this figure shows only the test group and not the contacts who were excluded in the control group.
Number of emails not sent
There are a number of reasons why a contact can be removed from the launch list before the campaign is sent. The overall total of these contacts is given at the top.
- No email address – The database field email address is empty for these contacts.
- Wrong email address syntax – The email address is not correctly constructed, for example firstname.lastname@example.org, or jane@@doe.com.
- Account blacklist – These contacts, or their whole email domain, have been manually added to your account’s Internal Blacklist and cannot receive marketing emails from you.
- Emarsys global suppression list – Emarsys maintains a global blacklist of email addresses which pose a significant risk to your deliverability. These include known spam traps, notorious complainers, domains known for high complaint rates, role addresses which cannot be assigned to individual people (such as alert@, abuse@, ftp@) and contacts who have registered with an international Robinson List).
- Contact has previously complained – These contacts marked an email they received from you as spam. This action was reported to us via their ISP’s automated feedback loop and we must therefore treat them as having unsubscribed. You can also choose to exclude contacts who complained about other Emarsys clients on the Internal Blacklist page.
- Frequency cap – These contacts have received the maximum number of emails allowed for the time period in which the campaign was sent, based on your Frequency Cap settings.
No content – These contacts were not eligible to receive any of the content in the email, for example due to conditional text or section targeting being used.
This also lists contacts who were excluded when a voucher pool runs out of codes and the option Do not send emails if voucher pool is empty has been selected.
- Duplicate email addresses – If the option Do not send to duplicate email addresses is selected for an email campaign, only one email will be sent to contacts who share the same email address. This one contact is selected at random; the others are listed here.
Number of emails sent
The emails which could not be delivered are listed by their bounce type.
Soft bounce – These emails could not be delivered because of temporary problems, such as:
- The mail box of the recipient is full.
- The denoted domain cannot be reached temporarily (network problems) or the host is unknown.
- Mistyped email addresses.
- Temporary server breakdowns.
- Hard bounce – These emails could not be delivered because the email address does not exist (or has been deleted).
Block bounce – These emails could not be delivered because they were blocked by spam filters. Reasons for this could be:
- Inappropriate content; emails that contain pornographic or other suspicious words in the text body, the subject line or the sender field are usually rejected.
- The HTML format in the sent email differs significantly from the HTML standard.
- The recipient activated a spam filter and has put the sender on its personal spam list.
- The sender is blacklisted, which means that the contact has informed their Internet provider that they consider the email received to be spam.
- The email was rejected by the recipient’s server firewall (especially company servers).
Number of emails delivered
These are the standard email responses; you can find additional responses under Other activities below.
- Opened – We can confirm that these recipients have opened the email, as they downloaded images or other content, or clicked a link.
- Opened on mobile – We can confirm that these recipients opened the email on a mobile device, as they downloaded images or other content, or clicked a link.
Didn’t open – We cannot confirm that these recipients have opened the email, for one of the following reasons:
- They have not yet opened the message.
- Their email client is set to disable images.
- Their email client cannot display images.
- The email has been bounced but the bounce message has not yet been sent to Emarsys.
- Clicked – The number of recipients who clicked at least one link in this email.
- Clicked on mobile – The number of recipients who clicked at least one link in this email using a mobile device.
- Total clicks – The total number of all clicks made by all recipients.
Didn’t click – The number of recipients who have not been tracked for one of the following reasons:
- They have not opened the email or clicked a trackable link.
- There are no trackable links in the content they received.
- Their emails were bounced.
- Click-through rate – The percentage of openers who then went on to click a link in the email.
These are the results from the Social Network Tracking feature, if enabled.
- Shares – The number of recipients who shared email content on a social network.
- Views – The number of times the shared content was viewed on a social network.
- Clicks – The number of times a link in the email was shared on a social network.
Email format used
There are a number of additional responses available, depending on the standard forms you have included in the email.
- Tell-a-friend – The number of recipients who use the Tell-a-friend form.
- Contact/Feedback – The number of recipients who use the Contact Us form.
- Change profile – The number of recipients who used the Change Profile form to change their contact properties.
- Purchased – The number of recipients who made a purchase attributed to this email campaign.
- Unsubscribed – The number of recipients who opted out of this email.
- List-unsubscribed – The number of recipients who opted out using the email client’s List-unsubscribe feature.
- Complained – The number of recipients who marked this email as spam or junk in their email client. These contacts are automatically added to your Internal Blacklist.