- About Magento Contacts
- Selecting the Key Identifier
- Opt-in Priority
- About Field Mapping
- The Initial Export
- Synchronization Mode
- What Data is Synchronized?
About Magento contacts
Magento has two main type of contacts:
- customers (contacts who are able to purchase)
- subscribers (contacts who are subscribed to the web shop newsletter)
These are identified by unique Magento identifiers (the Magento Customer ID and Magento Subscriber ID mentioned in the pre-requisites).
Selecting the Key Identifier
The Emarsys for Magento plugin provides you with two options for the external identifier when synchronizing your contacts.
- Customer ID (recommended) – Selecting Customer ID means that either of the two fields mentioned above are the key identifiers for contacts being synchronized between Magento and Emarsys, rather than the email address, since the latter could manually be changed at any time by the contact in their customer profile.
- Email – If you prefer to use Email, you will need to make sure that you do not have duplicate contacts with the same email address within your Magento contact database, otherwise one of them will not be exported.
The contact synchronization settings can be found under System > Configuration > Emarsys Connect > Contacts Synchronization.
When setting up your Magento integration, when configuring the contact synchronization settings, you will be asked on the Contact Synchronization page, Synchronization settings section to choose a value for the field Contacts synchronization order. This decides whether the Magento opt-in setting for a contact overwrites the Emarsys setting, or vice-versa.
You can choose between the following options:
- Subscription update -> Contact export – This option gives the priority to Magento opt-in value. The Emarsys value will be overwritten.
- Contact export -> Subscription update – The Emarsys value will not be overwritten by Magento.
About Field Mapping
Magento customers have a very complete customer profile offering a number of fields. Depending on your business model and needs, you will probably only be interested in a subset of these fields.
In contrast, Magento subscribers only have four fields available for synchronization:
- First name
- Last name
- Email address
- Subscription status (opt-in)
Select each Magento field you want to synchronize, and the appropriate target field in the Emarsys application, and then use the right arrow to move the mapped pairs across. If no suitable fields exist you can create them as custom fields, remembering to pay attention to the field type.
Note: As well as the fields you select for mapping, three Magento fields are always included for synchronization by default:
The Initial Export
The first time that you install Emarsys for Magento you must make an initial export of all the contacts you want to synchronize with Emarsys. Thereafter, data is only synchronized when necessary, i.e. when a contact has been added or their properties updated.
In the Synchronization Settings page, you can define whether to export all your Magento customers or subscribers, or both. Each contact type is saved to an Emarsys contact list; you must enter the name of these lists in the appropriate field. If you enter the name of an existing contact list, your Magento contacts will be added to that list. If no such contact list exists, a new one with that name will be created.
- For Magento customers, all the fields defined in the Field Mapping above will be exported, along with the Opt-in and Customer ID fields.
- For Magento subscribers, only the First name, Last name, Email address, Opt-in and Subscriber ID are exported.
Contacts synchronization can be scheduled in two ways:
This maintains contact synchronization in real time, sending every update as it occurs in Magento. This option is suitable for use cases where Emarsys needs the data immediately (e.g. for automated engagement programs). In case of unsuccessful updates (e.g. due to network downtime or excessive volume), they are placed in a failsafe queue and are processed once a day at the specified Background runtime (see below).
Important note: you should discuss your needs with Emarsys Support to ensure that you have the right API configuration to handle your requirements in terms of volume of traffic.
This synchronizes all contact updates that have occurred in the 24 hours up to the specified Background runtime. This option is suitable when there is no urgency for the data to be transferred to Emarsys, and there is no limit to the volume of data being synchronized.
Here you enter the time of day when your failsafe export will run (if you are using the Realtime-failsafe option), or when your daily export will run (if you are using the Background only option).
What Data is Synchronized?
- From Magento to Emarsys
The Magento contact database is considered the Master database for contact details, and all values synchronized for the mapped fields will overwrite the existing values in the Emarsys application. For Magento customers, new contacts will be exported will the same fields as per the initial export. For Magento subscribers, only the Email address and Opt-in fields are exported, since the First name and Last name fields cannot be modified in Magento.
- From Emarsys to Magento
Once a day, at the specified Background runtime, Emarsys also checks if the Opt-in field of any Magento contacts has been modified. If so, this change is synchronized back to Magento.
However, it is strongly recommended not to change the opt-in status in the Emarsys application as it will take up to 24 hours to update to Magento, during which time the contact could possibly receive further (transactional) emails. Best practices would be to update it in Magento, so the Emarsys contact will be updated as specified in the synchronization mode.