Emarsys uses blacklists to exclude recipients who have previously complained about an email they received. This prevents them from complaining again and thereby damaging Emarsys’ sending reputation. The blacklists can be found under the Admin menu > Internal Blacklist.
Email addresses on the blacklists are excluded from receiving any kind of email, regardless of how it is triggered (e.g. by the API or an Automation Center program) and regardless of type (transactional or batch). It is possible to configure certain email campaigns to ignore the blacklists, if their content is of a critical nature, but this can only be done by Emarsys Support.
There are two types of blacklist used by Emarsys.
Each Emarsys account has its own internal blacklist and the email address of any contact who complains about an email they received from you is immediately added to it. From this moment onwards they are blocked from receiving any more emails from you. These email addresses remain blocked even if the contact is deleted and re-imported. The number of complaints for each campaign is listed on the corresponding Results Summary page.
- The Global blacklist
Emarsys also maintains a global blacklist of email addresses which pose a significant risk to your deliverability. These include known spam traps, notorious complainers, domains known for high complaint rates, role addresses which cannot be assigned to individual people (such as alert@, abuse@, ftp@) and contacts who have registered with an international Robinson List).
You can also choose to add recipients who have complained about an email sent by any customer of Emarsys to this Global blacklist. This can be found on the Overview tab, Email Complaints, Block complaints from other Emarsys accounts. This option is enabled by default and Emarsys recommends keeping it that way.
Maintaining your internal blacklist
You can also manually specify additional email addresses or domains which will always be excluded from your mailings.
The Overview tab
Here you can decide if you want to block recipients who have complained about other Emarsys customers (see above).
The Email tab
Here you can add email addresses to your blacklist, both individually or via batch imports. You also have the option to export your blacklisted entries so that you can import them to another sub-domain and exclude them there as well.
The table displays all blacklisted entries with their email address, the name of the administrator who added them and the date they were added. Clicking any column header sorts the entries in ascending or descending order, based on the column you chose (e.g. email address, administrator, date added).
- To add a particular email address to your Internal Blacklist, enter it in the field at the top left and click Add Email.
- If you have a list with many addresses to add to the Internal Blacklist, you can upload it. Lists can be either .txt or .csv format and make sure the email addresses are in the first column. Important: If the addresses are not in the first column, then the import will not add any of them to the blacklist.
- You can export your blacklisted entries by clicking the Export button, and then entering the desired email address to send the content in the prompt.
- If you want to remove a single entry, check the box next to it and then click Delete. To remove all entries on the page click Select all and then Delete. To remove all email addresses from the blacklist, click Empty Blacklist.
- Click Search to look for an individual email address (you can search for partial email addresses).
The Domain tab
Here you can exclude entire domains from receiving your emails by adding them to the blacklist.
The table displays all blacklisted domain entries, the name of the administrator who added them and the date they were added. Clicking any column header sorts the entries in ascending or descending order, based on the column you chose (e.g. domain, administrator, date added).
- To add a domain to your Internal Blacklist, enter it in the field at the top left and click Add Domain.
- If you have a list with many domains to add to the Internal Blacklist, you can upload it. Lists can be either .TXT or .CSV format and make sure the domain names are in the first column.
Important: If domain names are not in the first column, then the import will not add any of them to the blacklist.
- If you want to remove a single entry, check the box next to it and then click Delete. To remove all entries on the page click Select all and then Delete. To remove all domains in your blacklist, click Empty Blacklist.
- Click Search to look for an individual domain (you do not need to enter the full name).
Role email addresses
Emarsys also blocks sending to ‘role addresses’. These are typically administrative email addresses which serve a department, or service email addresses which are used for automated processes. Below is a list of these addresses that we currently block.