The Segments page contains all the controls for creating and editing segments.
- Segment Details
- Filter Results
- Filter Conditions
All segments have the following properties:
- A Name – This is automatically generated by Emarsys and which you can keep or change. Segment names must be unique in your account.
- Description – This can help you identify segments easily in the Overview page, for example by highlighting which segments use Smart Insight or geolocation criteria.
- Source list – All segments are run against either all contacts in your account, a on specific contact list. You cannot run a segment directly on another segment, but you can combine multiple segments together.
In this section you can see when the filter was last run to generate the segment, as well as how many contacts it contains. Click Save & Apply to generate the segment again.
Note: A segment is always updated before it is used by Emarsys, so you do not have to keep it up-to-date yourself. The date when the segment was last generated is given in the table as Last updated.
This is where you define which contacts should be in the segment. You can base this on various criteria, see below. Within each category, you can create any number of conditions, but all on the same level and all linked by the AND operator.
Conditions are added and removed via the and icons.
If you want to define a more complex filter, for example with nested conditions or using both the AND and OR operators, click Advanced Filter Options.
To add a nested sub-criterion, click to plus sign on the right side. Select the AND/OR operator from the drop-down menu.
In the example figure above, the new segment is created with the following criteria:
- all contacts are from Germany, AND
- they have an email address, AND
- they are female AND have more then 3 children, AND
one of the following criteria is true:
- they are older than 30, OR
- their education is to university-level or unspecified, OR
- they work in retail/wholesale/e-commerce, OR
- their marital status is single or unspecified.
These are based on your contact database and include both system and custom fields. For each field, the appropriate conditions are offered. For this reason it is important that you use the correct field type when creating custom fields.
Some date fields are dynamic, meaning they are calculated by Emarsys when the segment is generated. These are mostly date-related fields such as Age and Days since last email sent.
Email and mobile behavior criteria
These are based on the contacts’ responses to your email campaigns (or lack of them). For example, you can filter for contacts that have received more than three email campaigns in the last month but have not made any clicks, or for those contacts who have clicked the most links in a particular category.
Note: Behavior segmentation for on-event campaigns is only available if the campaigns are included in an Automation Center program and they have an Email category assigned to them.
The following behavior criteria are available in the pop-up window:
- Email response (open/click or click only)
- Email bounced (including bounce type)
- No email response (open/click or not clicked)
- Individual link response (clicked or not clicked)
- Link category response (clicked or not clicked)
- Received an email (email was launched and no bounce notification received)
- Not sent an email (on the original launch list but excluded for some reason)
Depending on the criteria you choose, you can further refine your filter with a number of additional options.
- Timeframe – Restrict the response to a specific time period.
- Volume restriction – Restrict contacts by the number of emails they responded to.
- Device (Mobile/Desktop) – Select between desktop or mobile (or both), and if mobile, select from a range of platforms.
Note: The contact behavior here depends on the notifications returned by the target email client. This may not always exactly reflect the behavior of the recipient. Therefore the following points should be considered when filtering for contact behavior:
- An email which is opened without images does not return an open indication.
- Emails which are read in the mail client preview window also do not return an open indication, unless the client is set to display images.
- A contact may click a link several times to open it. Depending on the click speed and browser settings, each click could be counted separately even though the link was opened only once.
In most (though not all) cases, Emarsys can identify the city where a response was recorded. In the Geolocation Criteria feature you can select a location anywhere in the world and create a segment of the contacts who responded within that area during the selected time period.
- Timeframe – Here you select the timeframe for the responses. If you want to cover all responses ever, select full range.
- Target group – Emarsys initially treats every contacts as a visitor to a given location until their behavior has become regular enough to identify one location as their home. This categorization is dependent entirely on their responses and has nothing to do with any database fields (e.g. City, State or Country). These categories are constantly evaluated and updated by our algorithms after evey response.
You can select a city either by planting a marker on the map with your mouse, or by entering an address in the Location field.
Note: This is an integration with Google Maps so any address can be entered. However, only the city will be used by Emarsys geolocation. Segments within a city are not possible.
The radius is measured from the city center and creates the area in which responses are identified. You can choose your unit of distance (miles or kilometers) during setup. The minimum radius is 25km; there is no maximum radius.
Click Refresh Total to show how many contacts in the selected target group have been identified for your location.
You can only use one set of geolocation criteria per segment, but within that you can define as many locations as you like. Please note that all locations within a segment are linked with the OR operator. If you want to use the AND operator, you should create two segments and combine them.
On the right of the screen you can see how many of your total contacts have responded to emails during the last 90 days, and the percentage of these for whom a location has been identified. This figured always covers the last 90 days and is not affected by your Timeframe selection.
Smart Insight criteria
If you are using the Emarsys customer intelligence module Smart Insight, you can also add filter criteria based on ERFM activity and web behavior.
When you save a segment in Smart Insight (this can be done by clicking the Save Segment button that is displayed on various Smart Insight pages such as Customer Lifecycle or Predictive Affinity), a segment is created in Emarsys using the filters currently applied on that report. After providing a name and clicking , the segment will appear on the Segments page.
These segments are initially saved with a single Smart Insight criterion taken from the report. You can further modify this criterion by clicking Edit:
All additional attributes that you add here will be linked by the AND operator (i.e. all must be true for all contacts in the segment).
You can create new criteria by clicking . In this case, you have the choice between the AND and OR operators. Please note that clicking results in the deletion of all criteria belonging together.
You can also define the operators between the Smart Insight, Contact and Behavior crieteria by selecting Advanced Filter Options.
Note: When combining multiple criteria types, the operator for the Contact and Behavior criteria are first applied, and then the operator for the Smart Insight criteria. In other words, your filter syntax looks like this:
([Contact criteria AND/OR Behavior criteria] AND/OR [Smart Insight criteria]).