To export a list of only those contacts whose data fields have been updated during a defined time period, go to Contacts > Data Export > Data changes.
This checks for data field updates which were performed in the Emarsys application (via registrations forms, contact profiles and duplication handling). In this way you can synchronize Emarsys with another database.
Note: Data changes which result from an import are not exported. This was implemented to prevent configurations from using both automatic import and automatic export of data changes, resulting in an endless loop in which data is constantly overwritten.
On this tab you can:
Exporting a list of updated contacts manually
To make a manual export of updated contacts, proceed as follows:
- Export includes – Here you specify if you want to export all contacts in the database, a specific segment or a contact list.
- Additional options – Here you can define whether to export only existing contacts (you will exclude new registrations during this time period), to include new registrations, or export only new registrations.
- Time range – Here you select the time period when the data fields were updated. Please note that this selector is disabled for dates older than 13 months as the reporting data is only available for this time period.
- Started recording changes at – This is the earliest date that you can include in the export, and corresponds to when the account was created.
Changes originate from – Here you specify the source of the update. This can be All origins, Administrator (manual changes to a contact profile), Form, Data merge or API source.
Data will be sent by – Here you specify by which channel you want to export:
- Email – You must enter a valid email address; you can specify a subject line or use the default text. This email address will receive a download link which is password-protected; for the download you must enter your own Emarsys user credentials, even if it is not your own email address.
- FTP/SFTP – You must enter the corresponding access data (i.e. a host address, user name and password; the directory is optional).
- Local Delivery – The content is exported to the WebDAV folder that was configured during your account setup, and requires no further action by you.
Note: This feature is manually configured during setup and will not be visible by default.
- Display Language – This language is used for the field names (e.g. first name, last name).
- Field Separator – This separates the files in the is the .csv file. Since different language versions of programs like Microsoft Excel might use different characters for separating fields in .csv files, with this option you can adapt the .csv export to suit the version you use.
Add field names to the first row of export file – This option is activated by default; it writes the field names to the top row of the exported file.
File name prefix – This will be the prefix added to the .csv file. Only English letters, digits, underscore or dash (a-z, A-Z, 0-9, _, -) are supported.
- Choose the fields for the export – Here you choose the database fields for the export.
In the left box you can select more than one field by pressing the CTRL key on your keyboard and selecting fields with the mouse. Move your selection to the right box by clicking . You can remove an entry by selecting it and clicking .
When you have applied all desired settings, click Export Now.
During the export, the system assigns an internal ID to each record. In fact, this ID was generated at the time the record was created (via online registration, manual entry or import). It remains invisible until an export is started. The internal ID is unique and will later allow you to re-import the same file to Emarsys.
Scheduling an automated list export
On the Export Scheduler tab, you can define settings for the automated export. For this, you must use an export rule. Existing export rules can be edited, deleted, activated and deactivated. To create a new export rule, click New Rule; the Edit Rule page opens in a separate tab.
To schedule an export, proceed as follows:
- Name of Schedule – Assign a name to the rule.
The remaining controls are the same for the manual export described above, with the exception of:
- Schedule – Here you specify if you want to export on a Monthly, Weekly or Daily basis, and define an export time.
- Next export on – Here you select the day when the next export will be generated, and the intervals for the automatic export are calculated from that day onwards.
When finished, click Save; the export will be performed as scheduled.